Cynthia started her yoga journey in 2009 after a routine health screening where her doctor advised her to change her sedentary lifestyle. She joined a local gym and stepped onto the yoga mat for the first time. Over the years, yoga gradually evolved from a weekly class to a regular practice focused on mindfulness and bringing harmony to mind and body, especially after a stressful day at work.
Cynthia decided to deepen her yoga foundation in 2014 with 200 hour Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training by renowed yoga teachers Briohny Smyth & Dice Iida-Klein in Koh Samui, Thailand. Another teacher who greatly inspired and influenced her practice is Edward Clark, creator of Tripsichore Yoga, whose artistic expression of vinyasa yoga as a performance arts integrate her dual passions in yoga and dance. Cynthia also furthered her study in the yogic tradition with a 3-week retreat at Rishikesh, India – the birthplace of yoga. She is grateful for the experience to learn from many yoga teachers and fellow yogis who continue to motivate her every day.
In 2019, Cynthia participated in her first yoga competition organized by Yoga Sports Association Singapore and came in 1st place in the category of Yogaasans Female for her age group. She went on to represent Singapore in the 9th Asian Yoga Sports Championship & Conference held in Yeosu, Korea in the same year. She is also certified as an International Yoga Referee by Asian Yoga Federation.
Cynthia’s other passion is aerial dance and she has participated in various aerial performances, workshops and retreats around the world. Her more memorable performances include being an aerial dancer suspended from a 50m-tall crane for Chingay 2016 and aerial hoop performer hanging from the Supertrees for Gardens Turns 5 celebration in 2017. She also dances tango occasionally.
Her current practice emphasizes building body awareness as well as functional strength, balance and flexibility. Her favorite asanas are handstands and backbends.
- Qualifications & Certifications
- 100 hour Aerial Yoga Teacher Training with Geraldine Chia, Singapore 2021
- International Yoga Referee Diploma by Asian Yoga Federation, 2019
- 9th Asian Yoga Sports Championship & Conference, Korea 2019
- 3rd National Yoga Sports Competition, Singapore 2019
- Yoga Performance for River Hongbao, Singapore 2019
- Tripsichore Yoga Performance for International Yoga Day, Indonesia 2018
- Tripsichore Yoga Training with Edward Clark, Indonesia 2018
- Yoga Performance for India PM Narendra Modi Official Visit to Singapore, 2018
- 200 hour Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training with Briohny Smyth & Dice Ilda-Klein, Thailand 2014